Taking the First Step
Experience that Matters
What About Wills or Living Trusts?
  • Durable Powers of Attorney for Finance

  • Durable Powers of Attorney for Medical

  • Healthcare Directives (Living Wills)

  • Revocable Trusts

  • Wills

  • Family Trusts

  • Living Trusts

  • Estate Planning Packages

  • Probates

  • Trust Administration

  • Community Property Agreements

As a special needs/elder law attorney, Katherine Gulmert's practice focuses on the specific needs of the elderly and disabled. 


An additional component of her practice is serving as a public defender in involuntary mental commitment hearings conducted at St. John Medical Centers. She handles on average about 20 to 25 such cases per year. Many of these cases involve elderly patients with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia, which has given her additional insight into the mental issues facing an aging population. 

Many people know they need to take that first step in getting their personal affairs in order, but are not sure where to begin. Ms. Gulmert will help draw up estate planning documents that work for you and your situation. 

Depending on your circumstances, you may not need a Will to ensure that your estate is distributed according to your wishes. But even if your plan of distribution parallels the State’s distribution formula, preparing a Will can save your heirs a lot of headaches and stress in closing your estate. 


Revocable Living Trusts have become popular estate planning instruments, particularly in states such as New York and California where the probate process is more complicated and more costly than it is in Washington State. Washington’s probate process – the official, court-administered closing of an estate – is fairly uncomplicated if the Will is uncontested. Avoiding probate alone probably isn’t a sufficient reason to consider a Trust. On the other hand, if you fall into one or more of the categories below, a Living Trust might be of particular value:

  • You have an estate subject to state or federal estate taxes (currently a net worth of more than than $3.5 million)

  • You own real property in another state; or

  • You are concerned about your health and want to ensure your assets are managed according to your wishes if you become incapacitated.

Contact Us

Ms. Gulmert understands how difficult it is to make that first call to an attorney. Setting an initial consultation will help you decide your next step, course of action or even an alternative solution. This initial appointment does not obligate you to retain the attorney. Contact her at gulmert@gulmertlaw.com or 360-577-8760